Thursday, March 16, 2006

Globe: "Romney shifts tone on gay adoption"

The morning following Gov. Romney's solid interview with Hugh Hewitt, I look at the Boston Globe, only to see the following above-the-fold headline: "Romney Shifts Tone on Gay Adoption". [article] I was concerned.

Turns out Romney still intended to push forward a bill for the Catholic charities. [full disclosure: I am not Catholic but am sympathetic to their values]

The article did bring something questionable in Romney's views to light however.

On Monday in Boston, Romney was quoted as saying:

''Except that there are many, many other agencies that can meet the needs of those gay couples, and I recognize that they have a legitimate interest in being able to receive adoptive services."


However,

In an appearance Friday at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Memphis, an important early event for presidential hopefuls, he reiterated his position that ''Every child in America has the right to a mother and a father."

If anyone can clear this apparent contradiction for me, I would appreciate it. If every child has the right to a mother and father, how is their a legitimate interest in putting a child into a situation without both a mother and father?

1 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Colin said...

There is much up for debate here. Both parties, child and gay couples are entitled as Romney has stated. Just becasue the statements seem contrdictory does not mean they are. A child has a right to a mother and father, whether that is biological or not is also debatable. Gay couples have a right to adopt children if that is their desire. These rights although related are independant and can exisit together, as far as I am concerned. For full disclosure I share the same faith as Mitt and I also live in Utah. I really am not very interested in following Polotics to a great extent, but say this blog and must say that I love it. Good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Any and all comments made or posted on this blog are the sole viewpoint of said commentors. Romney Report is not responsible for accuracy, content, or nature of comments. Romney Report will try to block unhelpful and irresponsible comments, but will not be held liable for users opinions, writings, or links. Read at your own discretion. Information is provided as is. Lawyers- have I covered my bases now?